Thursday, August 22, 2013

Sunday, August 25th - Proper 16

(First time here? Read the Introduction for more info)

Themed Sunday! I love Sundays that have one unified theme. It's so much fun seeing how many different facets of the theme can be explored in the music. This week is Back to School/Blessing of the Backpacks/Teacher Installation Sunday.

Prelude: Children's Medley (arranged by Marilyn Hamm)

As soon as I found out that this would be Blessing of the Backpacks, I knew I wanted to play this as a prelude; it's been one of my favorite piano arrangements since high school. The arrangement incorporates Mozart's Sonata in C Major, Praise Him Praise Him All Ye Little Children, The Music Box Dancer, and Jesus Loves Me. It's a great piano piece for a Sunday that focuses on children.

Opening Hymn: As a Fire is Meant for Burning G-471

About a month ago, I was planning out music and I jotted down a note that said "Gather 471 - Backpacks." I'm glad I did, because I wouldn't have remembered it otherwise.

This hymn is set to "Beach Spring," an old hymn tune from the Sacred Harp. I've often joked that I could probably do two or three services in a row using only this hymn tune for every hymn and never repeat lyrics. It's been revisited and given new lyrics many, many times. I've even arranged it for handbells at one point in time.

I chose it for this week because the words are perfect for Back to School:

As a fire is meant for burning with a bright and warming flame,
So the church is meant for mission, giving glory to God's name
Not to preach our creeds or customs, but to build a bridge of care
We join hands across the nations, finding neighbors everywhere

We are learners, we are teachers, we are pilgrims on the way
We are seekers, we are givers, we are vessels made of clay
By our gentle, loving actions we would show that Christ is light
In a humble, listening spirit, we would live to God's delight

As a green bud in the springtime is a sign of life renewed
So may we be signs of oneness 'mid earth's peoples, many hued
As a rainbow lights the heavens when a storm is past and gone
May our lives reflect the radiance of God's new and glorious dawn

Obviously, the second verse is what first grabbed my attention as a hymn for this particular Sunday, but on a closer look all the lyrics fit. I'm thinking of this as my prayer for students this year; I pray that they may be a sign of Christ's light - not through condemnation but through gentleness, love, and peace.

You can listen to this hymn here.


Sequence Hymn: Healer of Our Every Ill - G-642

Even on a themed Sunday, I still try to connect the sequence hymn to the gospel reading as much as possible. This week it's Luke 13:10-17, the story of Jesus healing a woman on the Sabbath, to the shock and dismay of the leader of synagogue. I looked for hymns about healing and settled on "Healer of Our Every Ill."

This ended up being a sort of two-for-one special, because Kevin told me his sermon (which is for the children) is going to be about how God loves us, has a plan for us, and we never have to worry. This hymn, in addition to being about healing, is about freedom from fear and sadness and the desire for God to grant us vision. It's a win-win. And it's pretty, so it's a win-win-win.


Offertory Anthem: I Will Walk in the Presence of God

This anthem continues the "God has a plan for you and you don't have to worry" theme. Also, the phrase (which is repeated many times) "I will walk in the presence of God," could be a mantra for anyone's school year. It's been 5 years since I was in school of any kind and it's still a good mantra for my year.


Communion Hymn: I am the Bread of Life - H-335

The whole purpose of this blog is to show my thought process behind the selection of the hymns - how they tie into the scripture, etc. But sometimes, it's just plain old logistics. We're expecting a lot of guests this Sunday and we needed a long communion hymn and "I am the Bread of Life" fits the bill.


Recessional: We are Marching (Siyahamba) - G-357

I took this African spiritual and added school-themed lyrics. In addition to "we are marching in the light of God," we will also sing we are learning, we are teaching, and we are playing. I truly wish all teachers and students a blessed school year. Teachers, thank you for all you do. Students, listen and learn, even when it's hard.

Feel free to let me know your own thoughts on how the music and the scripture/theme connects. I hope this adds to your worship experience on Sunday. See you there!

No comments:

Post a Comment