Wednesday, August 7, 2013

Sunday, August 11 - Proper 14

Welcome to the first look behind the scenes (or behind the hymns) of what goes on in my head during my hymn-selection process. Read the introduction post (You can either scroll down or go directly there by clicking the "Introduction" link to the right) for more information on the purpose of this blog.



Sometimes in preparing for Sunday worship, the Lectionary scriptures all have a very clear connection. Perhaps one week they are all on the subject of mercy, another week gratitude. Other times it's very difficult to find the commonality. This week was a mix of the two.

Opening Hymn: The God of Abraham Praise H-401

Two of the scripture passages fit together very well and very obviously: Genesis 15:1-6 and Hebrews 11:1-3, 8-16 (Note: Those links will take you to the passages on BibleGateway.com). The verses from Genesis tell of God's promise to give Abraham descendants and the verses from Hebrews are about Abraham's faithfulness. In perusing the hymnal, I came across hymn #401, The God of Abraham Praise. I was not familiar with it, so I read through the words, sang through the melody, and fell in love with it. At first glance, it appears to be a straight-forward hymn proclaiming attributes of God and our worship thereof.


I've always believed that a song doesn't have to have words to have meaning, and part of the meaning of this hymn is in the music. It's an interesting blend of major and minor (if you want to impress your friends, this is called "mode mixture"), and where that crossover happens is important. In several of the verses, the first line (which is in minor) talks about God's reign or exultation. But the second line (in major) uses words like Love, Peace, Father. A human ruler might use power to oppress or to subjugate. But our heavenly ruler uses power for love - for peace - and to create a relationship with us. God showed that to Abraham and God still reveals that to us.

Sequence Hymn: I Want to Walk as a Child of the Light G-352

The sequence hymn ties in with the Gospel reading from Luke 12:32-40. "Be ready for service and keep your lamps burning," Jesus says. I feel like I need to write that on my hand and look at it every day. I chose a hymn from the Gather hymnal called "I Want to Walk as a Child of the Light" Follow the link to listen to it. It's simple but perfect: "I want to walk as a child of the Light, I want to follow Jesus." It's a plea both to see the Light of God, and also to BE the Light of God.

Offertory Choir Anthem: People of Hunger (Tony Alonso)

Confession: This has less to do with scriptural themes than with picking something we can put together in one rehearsal. This is my first week of choir practice. Although, People of Hunger does tell of our need for Christ to fill us, which I think can tie back into the Gospel reading; "Provide purses for yourselves that will not wear out, a treasure in heaven that will never fail, where no thief comes near and no moth destroys. For where your treasure is, there your heart will be also." If we hunger and thirst for Christ, then we are pursuing heavenly fulfillment.

Communion: Shepherd of Souls H-343

The gospel reading begins with Jesus saying, "Do not be afraid, little flock, for it is your Father’s good pleasure to give you the kingdom." As I was flipping through the Eucharist section of the hymnal, I came across the words "Shepherd of souls, refresh and bless Thy chosen pilgrim flock." That line seemed to fit so perfectly with the first verse of the passage from Luke, so I selected it for Sunday.

Recessional: This Little Light of Mine G-358   

 "I'm gonna let it shine." Jesus instructed us in Luke to keep our lamps burning so "I'm gonna let it shine, let it shine, let it shine, let it shine."


I hope this adds to your worship experience on Sunday. See you there!

No comments:

Post a Comment