Thursday, August 10, 2017

Sunday, August 13th - There's No Such Thing as a Perfectly Good Boat (Jesus, Lover of My Soul)

For all the Lectionary readings, click here


Matthew 14:22-33
Jesus made the disciples get into the boat and go on ahead to the other side, while he dismissed the crowds. And after he had dismissed the crowds, he went up the mountain by himself to pray. When evening came, he was there alone, but by this time the boat, battered by the waves, was far from the land, for the wind was against them. And early in the morning he came walking toward them on the sea. But when the disciples saw him walking on the sea, they were terrified, saying, “It is a ghost!” And they cried out in fear. But immediately Jesus spoke to them and said, “Take heart, it is I; do not be afraid.”

Peter answered him, “Lord, if it is you, command me to come to you on the water.” He said, “Come.” So Peter got out of the boat, started walking on the water, and came toward Jesus. But when he noticed the strong wind, he became frightened, and beginning to sink, he cried out, “Lord, save me!” Jesus immediately reached out his hand and caught him, saying to him, “You of little faith, why did you doubt?” When they got into the boat, the wind ceased. And those in the boat worshiped him, saying, “Truly you are the Son of God.”



There is a little skydiving place east of San Marcos, Texas. At the entrance is a small, broken plane, and a sign that reads "There's no such thing as a perfectly good airplane - learn to skydive!" It's a bit bleak, but the message is clear. In today's Gospel reading, I can almost imagine Peter saying "There's no such thing as a perfectly good boat."




I'm not sure if I would have had Peter's courage to get out of the boat. The wind is raging, the waves are crashing, and a spectral figure is approaching - walking on the very water itself. Those all sound like very good reasons to stay in the boat. But Peter was a fisherman; had he lost friends or even family to storms on the water? Peter knew there was no such thing as a perfectly good boat. 

Throughout the centuries, even as boats and ships have gotten sturdier and safer, storms and icebergs and warships have sunk "perfectly good" boats. Shipwrecks are the subject of poems, songs, and award-winning movies. It seems that every few years there is another story in the news of some tragedy that has befallen a cruise ship. There's no such thing as a perfectly good boat.

Peter called out, "Lord, if it is you, command me to come to you on the water." Jesus said, "Come." Peter climbed out of the boat and onto the water. No rowboat, no life jacket, just Peter and his Lord. Even when he looked around at the storm and began to sink, he called out to Jesus again. He didn't turn back for the boat. Because there's no such thing as a perfectly good boat. 

Peter knew that there is such a thing as a perfectly good Savior. Safety was not in the boat, but in the presence of Christ. 

Ships sink. Planes crash. Bodies age and crumble or give way to sickness. Nothing is perfectly good. Nothing is perfectly safe. Nothing, that is, except the love of God. The waves crash around us but our souls are safe in the arms of Christ. Truly he is the Son of God. 

Sequence Hymn: Jesus, Lover of My Soul (Tune: Aberystwyth) #699
1. Jesus, Lover of my soul,
let me to thy bosom fly,
while the nearer waters roll,
while the tempest still is high:
hide me, O my Savior, hide,
till the storm of life be past;
safe into the haven guide,
O receive my soul at last.

2. Other refuge have I none,
hangs my helpless soul on thee;
leave, ah! leave me not alone,
still support and comfort me!
All my trust on thee is stayed;
all my help from thee I bring;
cover my defenseless head
with the shadow of thy wing.

3. Plenteous grace with thee is found,
grace to cleanse from every sin;
let the healing streams abound,
make and keep me pure within.
Thou of life the fountain art,
freely let me take of thee:
spring thou up within my heart,
rise to all eternity. 
Words: Charles Wesley
(There is an additional verse in the video that is not included in The Hymnal 1982)

1 comment:

  1. Great insight. Peter often gets a bad rap because he "quit looking at Jesus" or something like that. But he is the ONLY ONE who got out of the boat! I have always imagined Peter, dripping with lake water, getting back into the boat with Jesus. The others are shaking their heads and saying things like "crazy, impetuous Peter" or even "Hey Buddy, you floated like a 'rock'!" But there is a beatific smile on "Rock's" face. HE walked on water!

    ReplyDelete