Friday, November 22, 2013

Sunday, November 24th - Christ the King

(First time here? Read the Introduction for more information)

Welcome to the last Sunday of November and the last Sunday before Advent!


Opening Hymn: Jesus Shall Reign H-544

As soon as I heard this Sunday was called "Christ the King Sunday," this is the hymn that sprang to mind. The hymn tune ("Duke Street") has been one of my favorites ever since my college handbell choir played an arrangement of it my sophomore year (you can listen to a recording of it here, if you're interested!) It's such a joyful tune - full of praise!

"Jesus shall reign where'er the sun
Doth its successive journeys run
His Kingdom stretch from shore to shore
Till moons shall wax and wane no more"


Sequence Hymn: Jesus, Remember Me G-293

The Gospel reading for this week comes from Luke 23. Jesus is being crucified and the thief hanging next to him says, "Jesus, remember me when you come into your Kingdom." I had another hymn selected (I don't remember now what it was), but one of my choir members said, "There's a Taize song in Gather that's based on that scripture." This is why I love running my selections by the choir - it's not unusual that they have better suggestions! I'm still getting familiar with two new hymnals.

It's a very simple song (as Taize songs usually are), but it's taken directly from the scripture passage and it's beautiful.

"Jesus, remember me when you come into your Kingdom
Jesus, remember me when you come into your Kingdom"


Offertory Anthem: Thank the Lord - Rene Clausen

This week is the Sunday before Thanksgiving, so the choir is singing a song of gratitude. It's a charming little a capella folk song.

"Thank the Lord and sing his praise, tell everyone what he has done
Let everyone who loves the Lord rejoice and gladly bear his name.
He recalls his promises and leads his people forth in joy
With shouts of Thanksgiving, Alleluia, Alleluia!"


Communion Hymn: Seed, Scattered and Sown G-6-1

This is one of my favorite communion hymns and one that I really like to do in the fall/harvest season. It's a straight-forward communion hymn but it talks about gathering wheat, which is why it makes me think of harvest. It's a beautiful song.

"Seed, scattered and sown
Wheat, gathered and grown
Bread, broken and shared as one
The living bread of God

Vine, fruit of the land
Wine, work of our hands
One cup that is shared by all
The living cup, the living bread of God"


Recessional: Lift High the Cross H-473

This was another suggestion from a choir member. I hadn't heard it before, but it works so well to close this week's service.

"Lift high the cross, the love of Christ proclaim
Till all the world adore his sacred name"



I hope this adds to your worship experience and I hope to see you there on Sunday!

No comments:

Post a Comment