Friday, October 4, 2013

Sunday, October 6th

(First time here? Read the Introduction for more info)

Welcome to October! My deepest apologies for the delay in blogging this week - in case anyone was waiting with baited breath. But better late than never, right?


Opening Hymn: O God of Every Nation H-607

The Old Testament passages this week are all about faith and hope in the midst of tribulation. I selected O God of Every Nation for the opening hymn because it echoes these themes. I especially like the lines, "Where hate and fear divide us and bitter threats are hurled, in love and mercy guide us and heal our strife-torn world." I think this is especially relevant to what's been going on this week (or this year, for that matter.) Whichever side of the political spectrum you may fall on, it's important to remember as followers of Christ that our speech reflect love, patience, and kindness. It's also good to remember the value of hope and faith in the face of shootings, bombings, natural disasters, and our own personal troubles whatever they may be. Whatever we're going through, we don't face it alone. That's hugely comforting to me and I pray that it is for you as well.


Sequence Hymn: Dwelling Place G-418

"The apostles said to the Lord, 'Increase our faith!' The Lord replied, 'If you had faith the size of a mustard seed, you could say to this mulberry tree, "Be uprooted and planted in the sea," and it would obey you.'"

That's from this week's Gospel  reading. I feel like I can sympathize with the disciples in this passage - I want more faith and Jesus has to remind me that even a little faith is sufficient. I chose a beautiful song from the Gather hymnal to go along with this reading: Dwelling Place. The chorus says, "May Christ find a dwelling place of faith in our hearts. May our lives be rooted in love." So this song not only ties in to the Gospel reading, it also hearkens back to the opening hymn and the necessity to act in love. I think having faith and acting in love go together very well. One is hard to achieve without the other and vice versa.


Communion Hymn: Behold the Lamb G-592

I hope that during this week's communion hymn, Behold the Lamb, we remember the good things we have. "Those who were in the dark are thankful for the sunlight. We who live, we who die are grateful for this gift, thankful for God's love." When things are going badly, it's nice to take stock of all the blessings you do have, and even when it feels like nothing, you always have God's love. And communion is when we remember just how deep that love goes.

Recessional: How Firm a Foundation H-636

How Firm a Foundation is one of my favorite hymns. We had a cassette tape of A Capella when I was growing up and this was one of the hymns on it. Then when I was in my college choir, we sang an arrangement of it and that's when it settled in as one of my favorites, and it's a perfect finish to this week. "How firm a foundation... is laid for your faith in God's excellent word." If we want to know about faith, all we have to do is look to the scriptures. Then there's my favorite verse:

"When through fiery trials thy pathway shall lie
My grace, all sufficient, shall be thy supply
The flame shall not hurt you, I only design
Thy dross to consume and thy gold to refine."

So now it's come back around full circle - during times of tribulation, we may go through the fire but we won't burn up. Faith - even faith the size of a mustard seed - will get us through.


I hope this adds to your worship experience and, as always, I hope to see you on Sunday!

No comments:

Post a Comment